Temporary Foreign Workers

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program is an employer driven process, whereby a Canadian employer must apply for an LMIA. Under TFWP, an employer must advertise the job post they wish to fill at least 4 weeks before filing the LMIA application. It must also be demonstrated that there are no qualified Canadians who are able to take over the described job post. Only if a positive LMIA is issued, a foreign worker can apply for the work permit. There are several work permit programs that you can apply for:

  • Temporary Foreign Worker Program
  • International Mobility Program
  • Quebec Skilled Worker
  • Express Entry Program
  • Quebec Experience Class
  • PNP Worker Stream
  • Post-Grad Student Work Permit
  • Spousal Work Permit
  • Live-In Caregiver Program
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Federal Skilled Worker

LMIA Work Permits

In most of the immigration cases, employers have to apply for Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before they hire foreign workers. In order to receive a positive LMIA, an employee in Canada has to prove that no permanent resident or worker in Canada is able to complete the job that is why foreign workers are required to hire. Thus, LMIA applicant ought to show the below mentioned:

  • Efforts made to hire the existing Canadian citizens/permanent residents.
  • Wages offered to the employees are consistent with the prevailing wages rate offered to the Canadian citizens/permanent residents.
  • Occupation working conditions meet with existing provincial labour market standards.
  • Potential benefits of hiring a foreign worker should release in the labour market of Canada like the creation of new jobs, transfer of skills, etc.
  • Transition plans will be needed to higher wage position, using these employers can demonstrate the efforts increased to hire the Canadian citizens/permanent residents for long-term.

How Are The Immigration Points Calculated?

When it comes to Canada Express Entry, a point based system is followed and candidates are accessed based on this:

  • Maximum 600 Points– For those who have a nomination and valid job offer from a Canadian province.
  • Maximum 500 Points– Depends on the education level, language proficiency and work experience.
  • Maximum 100 Points– As per the blend of education, foreign experience and documentation in the skilled trade.
  • Maximum 110 Points– Are assigned if the candidate is aged between 20 to 29 years.
  • Maximum 150 Points– Are awarded to candidates having the doctorates and Phds.
  • Maximum 30 Points– Are given to applicants with a high school diploma.

LMIA exempt Work permits (IMP)

Did you ever heard of an open work permit? If not, let us explain it. An open work permit, as the name suggests, is a permit that allows the foreign national to work anywhere in the country with limited exceptions. There is also no need for an LMIA. Some of the common open work permits include:

  • Postgraduate work permit
  • Working holiday work permit
  • Bridging open work permit
  • Open spousal work permit

Working Holiday Visa (IEC)

If you are planning to spend your holidays by working in Canada, you need a temporary work permit of working holiday visa for one of the International Experience Canada (IEC) participating countries. It provides short-term work permit to young people from over 30 countries, so that they can legally live and get a job in Canada. The permits are valid for either 12 or 24 months. To start with the process, a candidate must create a profile to notify the Canadian authorities that they want to receive a working holiday visa. On the basis of your eligibility and availability for the job, you’ll receive a formal application for a work permit.
The eligibility criteria to file a holiday visa include:

  • Must be a citizen of one of the 33 countries that have bilateral youth mobility agreement with Canada.
  • Must have a valid passport for the duration of the stay in the country.
  • Must be between the age of 18 and 30 or 35 (inclusive) at the time of application.
  • Must have the equivalent of CAD$2,500 on landing to help cover initial expenses.
  • Must be able to take health insurance for the full duration of their holiday visa in Canada.
  • Must be admissible to Canada without any criminal background.
  • Must not be accompanied by the dependents.

Open Work Permit & Bridging Open Work Permit

When it comes to working in Canada for a little more time while an application for permanent residence is being processed, Bridging Open Work Permit is the right visa to apply for. For those applicants who have applied to immigrate to Canada under Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades, Canadian Experience Class or Provincial Nominee Programs can consider a bridging open work permit if their current work permit expires.

This work permit allows you to keep working while you wait for the results of your permanent residence application. You may be eligible for a bridging open work permit if you:

  • Applied for a permanent residence.
  • Current work permit expires in 4 months or less
  • Have a valid status on your work permit
  • Are currently working in Canada

Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)

Every year, many foreign students complete their post-secondary education in Canada and wish to stay and obtain a Canadian work experience. As soon as a foreign student completes his/her studies, he/she is eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This allows them to work in Canada.

The Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) provide this opportunity to foreign students that makes them eligible for getting a work permit of three years to work and stay in Canada.

Eligibility criteria for PGWP include:

  • Must have studied full-time in Canada for at least eight months long;
  • Have attended a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions;
  • Have attended a Canadian private institution authorized by the provincial statute to confer degrees;
  • Must have applied for a work permit within 90 days of obtaining written confirmation from the institution that they have met the requirements of the study program;
  • Have completed and passed the study program and are eligible to get the degree, diploma or certificate; have a valid study permit when applying for the work permit.

NAFTA Work Permits

NAFTA refers to the North American Free Trade Agreement. Following the specific terms of NAFTA, citizens in America and Mexico may get an advantage for the facilitated processing while they are applying for a temporary work permit in Canada.

  • NAFTA work permits do not require LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment).
  • LMIA-exempt, workers and employers using the NAFTA programme have to comply with provisions under temporary work in Canada.
  • US citizens do not require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to visit Canada although Mexican citizen require this.

NAFTA job categories are:

  • NAFTA Professionals
  • NAFTA Intra-Company Transfers
  • NAFTA Traders and Investors

At Arish Immigration, you can trust our immigration consultants for best-in-class work visa process guidance and application filing assistance. We work hard and intelligently to help you fulfill your dream of working in Canada with a valid work visa.

Call To Know More About Express Entry Program!